Industrial and Systems Engineering
|Office:||CORE Building, Room 208|
Dr. Tuğrul Özel's research programs focus on advanced manufacturing, additive manufacturing, precision machining, laser materials processing, computational modeling and optimization of advanced manufacturing processes, and development of innovative micro/nano devices, processes, and integrated systems. Dr. Özel has established an internationally recognized research program in the machining of advanced materials such as titanium and nickel-based superalloys. His other work has focused on laser processing of polymers and ceramic materials for microfluidics and microelectronics applications, micro-manufacturing of polymer microneedles for biomedical device applications, and most recently laser powder bed fusion based additive manufacturing of nickel-based superalloys for aerospace applications.
Dr. Özel has published three edited books; Intelligent Machining (2009), Micromanufacturing: Design and Manufacturing of Micro-Products (2011), Biomedical Devices: Design, Prototyping and Manufacturing (2016). He holds a patent on Polymer-Based Micro-Needle Array Design and Fabrication for Drug Delivery. He published over 135 articles in leading journals and conferences. His journal articles received high number of citations and his current author h-index is 27 in SCI-Web of Science, 29 in SCOPUS, and 36 in Google Scholar databases respectively. He has been on the scientific committee of over 50 international conferences, chaired numerous conference sessions, delivered keynote and planetary papers.
Dr. Özel's research has been well funded (over $1 million as sole or lead-PI) by the National Science Foundation, Department of Commerce-NIST, NASA/New Jersey Space Grant Consortium, and industry. Current research projects include additive manufacturing using laser powder bed fusion, precision/micro-machining of advanced metal alloys using novel tooling, predictive modeling of machining induced surface integrity, laser materials processing of polymers and semi-conductor materials and computational modeling and optimization of manufacturing processes. He has graduated 6 Ph.D. and 15 Masters students, and supervised 11 visiting students and many undergrad projects in these areas.
Dr. Özel is a senior member of SME, ASME, NAMRI and Associate Member of CIRP-International Academy for Production Engineering. He received three major NSF Grant Awards as sole or lead-PI, the Most Cited Articles Awards from Elsevier where his articles appeared several times in The Journal of Materials Processing and The International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, the Best Paper Award at the 8th CIRP MMO Workshop in 2005, and the Machine Tool Technologies Research Foundation Award in 2008.
Ph.D. 1998 The Ohio State University
- 2008-present, Editor in Chief, International Journal of Mechatronics and Manufacturing Systems
- 2013-present, Editorial Board, Production Engineering: Research and Development
- 2013-present, Editorial Board, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture
- 2016 Guest Editor, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacturing
- 2013 Certification of Excellence in Reviewing, International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Elsevier
- 2014, Most Cited Articles (#1) 2013-2014 CIRP Annals- Manufacturing Technology, Elsevier
- 2010 Most Cited Articles 2005-2010 The Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Elsevier
- 2010 Most Cited Articles (#1 & #3) 2005-2010 International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Elsevier
- 2008 Machine Tool Technologies Research Foundation Award
- 2005 Best Paper Award in the 8th CIRP International Workshop on Modeling of Machining Operations
- Senior Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Senior Member, Society of Manufacturing Engineers
- Associate Member, CIRP - International Academy for Production Engineering
Advanced and sustainable manufacturing, computational modeling, simulation and multi-objective optimization of manufacturing processes, micro/nano manufacturing, biomanufacturing automation and control, medical device design and manufacturing
- Criales, L.E., Arisoy, Y.M., Lane, B., Moylan, S., Donmez, A., Özel, T. "Predictive Modeling and Optimization of Multi-Track Processing for Laser Powder Bed Fusion of Nickel Alloy 625," Additive Manufacturing, 2017.
- Criales, L.E., Arisoy, Y.M., Lane, B., Moylan, S., Donmez, A., Özel, T. "Laser Powder Bed Fusion of Nickel Alloy 625: Experimental Investigations of Effects of Process Parameters on Melt Pool Size and Shape with Spatter Analysis," International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 2017.
- Arisoy, Y.M. and Özel, T., "Prediction of machining induced microstructure in Ti-6Al-4V alloy using 3-D FE-based simulations: effects of tool micro-geometry, coating and cutting conditions,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2015.
- Thepsonthi, T., Özel, T. "3-D Finite Element Process Simulation of Micro-end Milling Ti-6Al-4V Titanium Alloy: Experimental Validations on Chip Flow and Tool Wear," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2015.
- Criales, L.E., Orozco, P.F., Medrano, A., Rodríguez, C.A., Özel, T. "Effect of Fluence and Pulse Overlapping on Fabrication of Microchannels in PMMA/PDMS via UV Laser Micromachining: Modeling and Experimentation," Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 2015.
- Thepsonthi, T. Özel, T., "An integrated toolpath and process parameter optimization for high-performance micro-milling process of Ti–6Al–4V titanium alloy," International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 2014.
- Özel, T., Ulutan, D., “Effects of machining parameters and tool geometry on serrated chip formation, specific forces and energies in orthogonal cutting of nickel-based super alloy Inconel 100,” Proc. IMechE Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 2014.
- Ulutan, D., Özel, T. “Determination of tool friction in presence of flank wear and stress distribution based validation using finite element simulations in machining of titanium and nickel based alloys,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2014.
- Arrazola, P. J., Özel, T., Umbrello, D., Davies, M. and Jawahir, I. S., “Recent advances in modelling of metal machining processes,” CIRP Annals- Manufacturing Technology, Keynote Paper, 2013.
- Özel, T., Ulutan, D., "Prediction of machining induced residual stresses in turning of titanium and nickel based alloys with experiments and finite element simulations," CIRP Annals- Manufacturing Technology, 2012.